Sunday, August 15, 2010

My way to Camp Shelby Mississippi


    My lovely wife (sorry babe if you don't like this pic), who quite understandably may have had to wipe away a few tears before the taking of this picture, which was one of the last ones taken of us prior to my departure from Vets Auditorium, Des Moines IA on August 9, 2010 on my way to Camp Shelby Mississippi.
    This picture was taken shortly after I seated myself on the charter bus that took us from Des Moines to Camp Shelby. Little did I know it would be my seat for the next 18 hours.
    I snapped a shot of this nice sized walking stick while we were stopped at a small run down gas station just outside Hannibal Missouri. At that point only a couple hours into our trip it was an unexpected stop due to the fact that the A/C on the bus decided to quit working, and the temperature climbed quickly to an unbearable degree. Luckily for the bus driver, he was transporting a bus full of B Company 334th BSB mechanics who made short work (Thanks SGT Prouty!) of fixing the A/C and we were on our way again.

We finally arrived at about 6am on Tuesday August 2, 2010. To the left is what we had welcoming us on Camp Shelby.  Lots of cinder block buildings with our names written all over them. These buildings are everything from open bays with bunks to latrines to dining facilities.
The picture to the right is my vantage while standing in line for breakfast the morning we arrived. By the way this line wraps around the furthest building to the entrance of our dining facility. I've learned to wait in line a half hour prior to meals now because it is a much shorter wait than standing in this line the first morning here.
Well I'll try to post more later but our internet is sketchy at best here, and to be honest I'm shocked I was able to upload as many pics as I have. I have been taking many pics though and will post them as soon as I have the chance. Love you all, Zech.

1 comment:

  1. We both miss you a ton already! We're glad you'll be able to keep us updated. We especially missed you when chopping up Debbie's "small tree/limb/twig" :) - much love, the Winns

    ReplyDelete